Neighbors' actions helped stop mobile fire spread

Print

KELSEYVILLE – The quick action of three men is being credited with saving additional homes from a fire that destroyed a mobile home Thursday afternoon.


The Walnut Estates Senior Mobile Park on Fifth Street in Kelseyville was the scene of the fire.


Dorothy Pinson, the park's manager, said the fire broke out about 4:30 p.m. Thursday in the home of Norman Wykes, who lived next door to Pinson in space 26.


Wykes was at a neighbor's home when the fire started, said neighbor Lynne Quartarolo.


Pinson said Wykes lost everything but “the clothes on his back,” with the fire killing his two cats as well.


Both Pinson and Quartarolo lauded the neighbors Jon Hanley, Conrad Boehm and Robert Potter for jumping into action and keeping the fire from spreading before Kelseyville Fire arrived.


Hanley, said Pinson, ran out barefoot, grabbed a hose and began watering down the home on the other side of Wykes' mobile, where the wind was starting to blow the fire.


“It was pretty hot,” said Pinson.


So hot, that it cracked the neighboring home's double-pained windows, said Pinson, who added that Hanley's actions helped prevent the mobile from catching fire.


Boehm stood in Pinson's yard with a hose, putting water on Wykes' burning mobile.


“These guys, in my estimation are real heroes,” said Quartarolo.


Kelseyville Fire came on scene and contained the fire. Medical personnel took Hanley to the hospital, where his feet were treated, said Pinson. Other than blistered feet, he's OK.


The Red Cross gave Wykes three nights of lodging at the Skylark Shores Resort in Lakeport, along with vouchers for food at Grocery Outlet and clothes at Kmart. Pinson added that one park resident also is offering Wykes a place to stay.


On Monday, Pinson said she's supposed to pick up a report on the fire's cause. She said authorities indicated there was a 99-percent chance it was accidental, with Wykes believing it may have been caused by a fan he was using.


Pinson said the park had a fire about seven years ago in which a man died. The cause of that fire was believed to be a cigarette, she said.


E-mail Elizabeth Larson at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..


{mos_sb_discuss:2}